14 December 2017

Delaware Parks in November

November camping
Kicking off November at Cape Henlopen State Park in Delaware.  We decided to knock off the last states on my "50 states" list.

We are quickly discovering that Sun, Mon, and Tues nights are quietest, with Wed and Thurs nights iffy, Fri and Sat nights wild!






Nov 1
We walk the entire Campgrounds. 3.7 miles worth, visit Fort Miles installations, and wander the beach.




Like many parks, we find their maps and signage useless. One side of a walk will have a "No dogs allowed" while the opposite does not. Other signs are faded to illegibility, or missing all together. 


Nov 2
Run with pups
Bike path is nicely paved, but beginning to decompose ... the tree roots are making it a mega trip hazard!


The girl does much better on the inside position, remember that Kira.

Take trash to dumpsters


Walk to observation towers, himself went up the open tower.



Walked to the beach by moonlight, lovely stroll, the beach to ourselves, full-ish moon above, light reflecting off the waves, and plane traffic (probably on the way to JFK).


E03 in Cape Henlopen State Park
The water threads are buggered up

But it is one of the best sites ... for now, kind of in a dropped hole, so neighbors are less visible, wide site with great tree growth inside, nicely deep for truck and Jeep parking.

However, you are right across from the cabins and a possibility for high people volume (in more ways than one!)

I took a chance, and only one cabin was occupied for one night of our stay, and yes, the kids were noisy! (But, that’s kids. They also nod off early! 😆)

Carry in/carry out parks. I cannot decide if this is marvelous or horrifying. From a dog owner standpoint, I really dislike the absence of trash cans for doggy leavings. I can imagine many owners either: forgoing pickup or leaving bags on walkways because carrying is too much trouble. As a runner who cleans up after my dogs, I dislike how running with a filled bag interrupts my pacing (not to mention the scent.)

And yet, I find carry in/carry out parks remarkably clean ... so far, anyway. Except for the doggy leavings I saw in two places on the bike path (which could have been left by wild canids, I suppose).

I was responsible regarding my trash, and (most) everyone else appears to be the same. 

10 second showers. Oh, how I dislike 10 seconds timers in the showers. And Mr. SMT thought the water was fine? I would say lukewarm, at best. Thank goodness I was still warm from a run and the day is warm.


Nov 3
Prep to move and dump! 😜 We are getting pretty comfortable with the process, forgetting fewer items, plumping out our checklists, and maybe getting through a bit faster.

I confess, the water waste annoys me. 
Mr. SMT has decided that our human waste should be automatically converted to fire bricks for campfires.

Next he’ll come up with some slingshot delivery method with wind speed compensation!

Air Command Museum in Dover
Dogs allowed!




They have a tower you can climb up into (and air traffic from the nearby field is routed through the speakers to give you that real life experience).

Our guide is a retired pilot with 50 years experience, he enjoys the pups antics, and has awesome experiences and knowledge to share. Thanks Jim!!!


Trap Pond State Park







This place is PACKED! Large park, lotsa people, lotsa dogs.

B31 - The sites are flat earth, plenty wide for the truck and Jeep, but the sites are close together. You do not get much wiggle room.

I think we have one of the quieter sites in the "loud" side. I would prefer to be closer to the tents. I’ve decided tent and/or cabin areas seem to have the least traffic.

I am still awake at midnight. Our energy balls (the curled up pups) are working overtime in the heat and the temps are hovering in the 70s, dogs are barking nearby, a car alarm is going off, camp fire smoke is pouring into the camper roof vent (inversion layer?) and a musical quartet is still playing in the next loop over (they do not appear to need sleep - vampire folk singers?).

We have found the frat party equivalent of camp grounds!!! Including a laser light show in some tree canopies.


Nov 4
Band exercises and walking pups in the am.

Drive to: Walgreens for Rx pickup, "Open Cupboard" where I had hoped to find healthy food (they are more in the supplement business), and Walmart for other groceries.

My abiding memories of DE were solidified in Laurel.

This is one flat plane of a state that strongly reminds me of the Deep South gulf coast region.

Military has a STRONG presence.

There’re a lot of churches, and signs advertising churches (and discounting evolution).

The local radio station call sign is WSUX. It PROBABLY stands for Sussex, but did anybody think about how that reads?

One of the local strip clubs/titty bars is called Whispers Bikini Lounge.  Which led to us chatting about opening a Whiskers Bikini Waxing Lounge and Bar. Buyers, guys and gals, pick their waxee (though the waxer will be a professional! No amateur hour here.) Waxee’s get free service in the group room. Hoods optional. (Should we add private rooms?) Buyers - No touching allowed. I envision that circular chair setup like they had for early Photorefractive Keratectomy (PRK) mass surgeries.  Can you imagine the drink names?

While driving past the Nautico Seafood sign, upright posts blocked just enough letters than Mr. SMT saw "Nauti Taco." We are approaching the dinner hour.

As with all Walmart visits, you get to see some of the lowest common denominators in your community. The women yelling at their kids, the guys yelling at their wives/girlfriends, the crush of humanity in a small space, and the dirtiest frickin parking lot. I finally put the dogs up because my girl scarfed down three different mouthfuls of unidentifiable things as we wandered along. When she went for the chicken bone, I gave up. She does not recognize "drop it!" Nor "leave it!" 

Back at the campground. People are nice, not nosy, but loud. We swear people sound like they are being tortured. I believe the alcohol is having an effect. 

Mr. SMT follows with - Once the guards finish physically torturing the prisoners, they bring out the mike and speakers, and mental torture begins ... country and western honky tonk music ( D G A D G A D G A)... loudly, of course. 

A sleep deprivation technique to break the prisoners faster.

I think I hear a Polka to sweeten the pot.

The witchy cackling across the way adds a piquant spice to the evening’s festivities.

I wonder if they will miss the 10 pm quiet hour.


Nov 5
Chat with friend traveling to the area

Run with pups



Another measure your shower in 10 seconds job. The water is warmer than Cape Henlopen, by a degree or two.

They have an "ADA" shower, but I have the sneaky suspicion it would not pass inspection. Really, fixing that shower should be top priority.

Water ... iron-y. I wonder if light colored hair types would take on an orange patina over time. Mr. SMT was unnerved by the scent. It did not bother me so much ... I am a veteran of iron scent! 

Make reservations for the next two campgrounds

Prep to leave


No comments: