29 June 2012

Beginning to Run ... at 30-some ... 'ting

At some point in my early 30s, I decided to take up a running program.  Although, I'm not sure you can call it a program, per say.  It has been intermittent, and I change things up all the time.  So I'm not settling into any set schedule, but run as I wish.

I think I can blame it all on the treadmill.  My hubby decided to buy one after a discussion with his doctor.  It went something along the lines of, "You need regular exercise, or else."  I think he was one of those guys that could have been teetering along the lines of a fat skinny person.  Healthy on the outside, and nothing but potato chips on the inside.

So into our world comes a PaceMaster foldup treadmill.  It fit our requirements: maneuverable, no foot tripping handles/gripping bars attached at or near the belt surface, and simple electronics to reduce possible service issues.


                               Thanks to http://www.fitnessrepairplus.com for the jpg.





Our PaceMaster has been running consistently for well over a year now.  I'd say it gets used five days out of seven, sometimes twice a day.


Along with weight lifting and aerobics, running has become a regular part of my routine.  This has led to a remarkable numbers of shoe and wardrobe changes for comfort.  Not to mention the wardrobe updates required for size change.  


And, as always, a rather large number of books have "run" through my reading list.  These include Christopher McDougall's "Born to Run" (of course ... and recommended), Dean Karnazes' "Ultramarathon Man" (pretty amazing story, and a fun read, recommended), Runner's World Complete Book of Women's Running (not recommended, what a waste of paper), Scott Rigsby's "Unthinkable" (not to discount his fight against adversity, but a repetitive, tiring read, not recommended), Runner's World The Runner's Body (by far the best book, highly recommended), and Jason Robillard's "The Barefoot Running Book" (recommended).



Book of Women's Running addressed none of the problems I've puzzled over, nor did it cover women's specific issues unless you count pregnancy as the only issue women runners have in comparison to men.  I was looking more for hip and knee issues due to our angled femurs, and how to identify and correct any problems arising from this physiology.  Nope, simply another "women's power" type books with no substance.  It is not worth the paper on which it is printed.





http://www.amazon.com/Runners-World-The-Body-Exercise/dp/1605298611



The Runner's Body is a recent library borrow, and I'm not even finished yet.  But, it has addressed many of the problems and issues I've encountered or puzzled about.  I wonder what I will learn from the second half of the book?  I think this should be required reading for anyone getting into the running sport or interested in the physiology of the runner's body.






http://www.amazon.com/Born-Run-Hidden-Superathletes-Greatest/dp/0307279189/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1341006615&sr=1-1&keywords=born+to+run

Born to Run was, of course, my introduction to running, barefoot running, and ultramarathons, in particular.  It fired my imagination, and got me thinking about how easy running could be versus how hard I'd experienced it in the past.  I started a lot of shoe change up after reading this, and have finally settled on what works for me.

No comments: