13 April 2010

Seborrheic Dermatitis update

















As Matt, a reader, requested ...
here is an untouched closeup of my formerly Seborrheic Dermatitised face. As a reminder, it was the nasolabial folds and the area around my chin where the dermatitis was localized.

This picture was taken last month, and is two months short of the two year mark from when I began "curing" my last Seborrheic Dermatitis outbreak.

For the most part, my uneven texture and blotchiness have completely disappeared. Though I question whether I will ever really consider myself "cured."

Every time I get a zit or some dry skin in these areas, I think another outbreak is starting. And I cringe and cry inside. So far, these stress responses have come to naught.



As to current product use, I am still using my Wonder Wash liquid soap and Neutrogena and Purple Prairie Botanicals sunscreens.

Soap Review http://sewmanythings.blogspot.com/2009/05/soap-wonderful-wonder.html

Sunscreen Review http://sewmanythings.blogspot.com/2009/10/as-if-milk-allergies-werent-enough.html


While I don't have many other skin problems, my spouse does. He was prescribed, what else?!?, steroid cream for his hand. He has a quarter size area of his hand that breaks out when exposed to some chemicals.

For him, I've purchased "Gloves in a Bottle" which is similar to "Skin MD" from what I can figure out.

http://www.glovesinabottle.com/

http://www.skinmdnatural.com/


These products create a siliconized barrier layer between your skin and whatever you are working on. For those individual that have dermatitis on the hands and forearms, I'd strongly suggest checking out the types of products and testing their protective features on your own skin. (Obviously if you have silicon reactions, DON'T try this product.)


Gloves in a Bottle Ingredients (copied from bottle); moderate hazard of 3 out of 10 on the cosmeticsdatabase.
Purified Water
Dimethicone
Stearic Acid
Glycerin
Cetyl Alcohol
Isopropyl Myristate
Stearyl Alcohol
Tiethanolamine
Xantham Gum
Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose
VP/Eicosene Copolymer
Steareth-21
Phenoxythanol



Skin MD Ingredients (copied from their website); also a moderate hazard of 3 on the database.
Deionized water (Aqua)
Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract (Aloe Vera)
Cyclopentasiloxane
Dimethicone
Methyl Gluceth-20
Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E)
Arnica Montana Flower Extract (Arnica)
Symphytum Officinale Leaf Extract (Comfrey)
Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Extract (Chamomile)
Achillea Millefolium Extract (Yarrow)
Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer
1,2 Hexanediol
Caprylyl Glycol
Butylene Glycol
Aminomethyl Propanol
Phenoxyethanol

No comments: