15 May 2009

Product Review - JASON Fragrance Free Nightly Facial Moisturizer

From the website, http://www.jason-natural.com/products/fragrance_free.php:
"Fragrance Free Nightly Facial Moisturizer

Cucumber Extract, Shea Butter and Organic Jojoba Oil alleviate feelings of dryness and tension associated with sensitive, extremely dry skin. This nightly treatment seals in moisture for hydrated, balanced and even skin tone

NET WT 4 OZ
Item No. 02097"




















I was hoping to use this as an alternative to my La-Roche Posay Toleriane Skin Cream. No go.

Within 10 minutes of putting this on my face, my skin started to burn and ache. So off it came.

One month later I tried it again with the same results.

I've got too bad a reaction to recommend it for anyone with sensitive skin.

The only plus ... fragrance free. So what am I reacting to? Or what combination am I reacting to? Maybe it is the Ceteareth-20 or the phenoxyethanol or one of the plant extracts (though I've been exposed to most of the plant extracts in other incarnations)? Whatever the cause, it gets a thumbs down. I've got to say, more Jason products get a thumbs down than up in my own studies.

It does get a moderate 3/10 hazard rating from the Cosmetics Database (I use this site all the time).


Ingredients
Water
Cetearyl Alcohol
Glyceryl Stearate SE
Aloe barbadensis Leaf Gel
Prunus amygdalus Dulcis Oil (Sweet Almond)
Helianthus annuus Seed oil (Sunflower)
Vegetable Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride
Stearic Acid
Dimethicone
Butyrospermum parkii (Shea Butter)
Myristyl Myristate
Vegetable Glycerin
Vegetable Squalane
Simmondsia chinensis Seed Oil (Jojoba)
Natural Tocopheryl Acetate (Vit E)
Cucumis sativus Fruit Extract (Cucumber)
Calendula officinalis Flower Extract (Marigold)
Epilobium angustifolium Flower, Leaf, Stem Extract (Willowherb)
Panthenol (Vit B5)
Ceteareth-20
Allantoin
Cellulose Gum
Carbomer
Phenoxyethanol
Potassium Hydroxide
Potassium Sorbate
Sodium Benzoate

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Kira

I have sd on my face and eyelids, tried many creams from the doctor and dermatologist, but nothing works, I am now trying to sort it out myself, your blog helps a lot.
I am in the UK, I am trying to find a good cleanser and moisturiser, also trying to get something for my eyelids, I see you recommend the book skin type solutions, are there any other books you can recommend please.
Many thanks
Junie

Kira said...

Junie,

I have not yet found any additional helpful books. Most doctors and authors want to hand you a prescription or sell you on a specific line, rather than finding an ultimate solution.

I do recommend doing patch testing with any new product you try, rather than testing over your entire face and eyelids.

For cleanser and moisturizer, I still recommend the softest soap you can find and the simplest oil. Almond oil is still my go to product for moisture.

Kira