04 September 2018

Arizona Pt 1 - Family






05/18-
Driveway Camping with family
South of Flagstaff

My family was in the evacuation area for the Tinder (should have been Kinder) fire in late April/early May.  33 homes lost, started April 27 by an illegal campfire, and began spreading in earnest April 29.  It was 79% contained on the 8th of May.

We arrived around 2 pm, a little earlier than I anticipated because I forgot about the 1 hour time change.

I twisted my ankle slipping on stairs, and hobbled around for three days.  We went on a winding, twisty road to hang out in Jerome, a very cool little town.  My Uncle is a hunter and hardly eats anything but meat heavy meals (my Aunt also hunts, but is more adventurous in her eating habits).  Needless to say, we visited a BBQ joint in Jerome ... everyone seemed to enjoy their meal.  I tried to tactfully say that since the road was so windy and twisty, the last thing I wanted to take back to homebase was a full stomach.  I strongly believed it would not remain so.

Once my ankle healed enough, I have been alternating yoga and kickboxing each morning.

My Aunt and Uncle have a yellow lab.  She is just a couple months older than my own pups, and has been quite gracious about us moving into her territory.  The pups have been digging in the backyard as there are various rodents to hunt!  They caught a mouse one morning.  We await their vole capture!




Places we considered visiting during our NE AZ vacation:

Montezuma Well and Castle National Monument, Camp Verde, AZ
     Pets allowed

Lava River Cave
     Coconino National Forest
     Pet allowance unknown

Slide Rock State Park, Sedona
     No pets in swim area
     $20/vehicle

Amitabha Stupa and Peace Park, Sedona
     Well behaved, leashed pets allowed

Chamber of Commerce Visitors Center, Sedona
     Harmony Park, outdoor musical instruments

Red Rock State Park, Sedona
     No pets allowed

Palatki Heritage Site and its sister site, Honanki, were the largest cliff dwellings of the Red Rock Country
     No pets allowed

Canyon De Chelly
     No pets allowed on trail
     Free drives through area



Sedona, 2 hour drive
Snebbly Hill (on the way to Sedona)


*HOLBROOK, 1.5 hours
Petrified National Forest


*GRAND CANYON, 3 hours
Grand Canyon South Rim
Leashed pets allowed.


FLAGSTAFF, 1.5 hours
*Walnut Canyon National Monument, Flagstaff
     3 Walnut Canyon Road
     Leashed pets are allowed on the Rim Trail and in the visitor center parking lot

Flagstaff, AZ The Arboretum in Flagstaff
     4001 S Woody Mountain Rd, Flagstaff, AZ 86001

*PetCo
     5047 E Marketplace Dr, Flagstaff, AZ 86004

*Whole Foods
     320 S Cambridge Lane, Flagstaff, AZ 86001

Sprouts
     1540 S Riordan Ranch St, Flagstaff, AZ 86001

*Natural Grocers
     503 W Clay Ave, Flagstaff, AZ 86001

Buffalo Park
     Nate Avery Trail
     2400 N Gemini Dr, Flagstaff, AZ 86001

New Jersey Pizza Company
     2224 E Cedar Ave, Flagstaff

Toasted Owl (dog friendly patios)
     On the South Side:
     12 S. Mike's Pike, Flagstaff, AZ
     7 Days a Week: 7am - 4pm

     On the East Side:
     5200 North Cortland Blvd
     7 Days a Week: 7am - 4pm

Pizza Patio
     109 E Phoenix, Flagstaff, Arizona, USA, 86001

Riordan Mansion State Historic Park, Flagstaff
     10.00 tour fee
      No dogs in bldgs

Museum of Northern AZ, Flagstaff
     Monday-Saturday: 10 am-5 pm
     Sunday: 12-5 pm
     12.00 per admission

Wupatki National Monument, Flagstaff
     25137 N. Sunset Crater-Wupatki Loop Rd.
     pets are not permitted on any trails. Pets are also not allowed in park buildings.
We welcome your pets in parking lots on leashes six feet (1.8 m) long or shorter.

Sunset Crater Volcano National Monument, Flagstaff
     6082 Sunset Crater Road
     Pets are NOT ALLOWED on any trails in the monument or in buildings.
    Pets are allowed in the parking lot only



Monument Valley
     Utah, Navajo Nation
     Dog allowance unknown 
Arches National Park, Moab, Utah
     Activities with pets are very limited at Arches. Pets are not allowed on any hiking trails. 


Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Utah
     Pets are not permitted on unpaved trails or viewpoints, or in public building

Zion National Park, Springdale, Utah
     Leashed pets may be walked on the Pa'rus Trail. All other trails, and all wilderness areas, are closed to pets.





In other words, AZ and Utah are NOT the most dog friendly vacation destinations.  I realize it is a mix of someone has ruined it for the rest of us dog owners, but also old fashioned rules of "dogs are farm or working animals and have no business in public spaces."  Harumph, I could say the same thing about all children not my niece and nephew.  But you'll notice that I haven't placed any "no children allowed" signs in any area.  

Charge a (reasonable) fee for canine entry into parks and other accessible areas.  Fine people who do not follow the rules.  

Just know, FYI, my SO and I are childless, furkidful.  You want my money?  You let me bring my dogs.  Well-behaved, a bit vocal, under control of a short leash, and ready to enjoy the experiences I do.  It is not like they can run up to people who do not like (or fear) dogs ... unlike children, who can (and do) run up to adults who dislike (and/or fear) the wee spawn.

I just LOVED the sign that I saw on a National Park site justifying dog refusal ... dogs will scare the native animals, make the animals scent predators.  Uh, yeah.  You mean dogs smell like coyotes, wolves, and perhaps even foxes?  How have you managed to keep such predators out of our lovely parks?  Inquiring minds wish to know?  Idiots!  🙄  At least find a half-way reasonable argument.  This one has more holes than a sprinkler hose.




At ... one month out, my skin is so uncomfortable.  I have almost used up an entire 2 oz jar of Shea Butter.  I slather my body in this stuff each night.  I leave trails wherever I walk!  Mr SMT and our little gal have also been slathered at times.  I do get minor improvements from one day to the next ... could my body ever truly adjust?  It just does not feel like little improvements will add up enough!

The dryness, minimal biological diversity, and cardio discomfort at 7000+' have (possibly) FINALLY cured Mr SMT of his desert move desires.  Ugh!  Here's hoping.  🤞🤞🤞


We visited the Petrified National Forest one day, and Flagstaff the next. 



I liked Flagstaff as a city (from what I saw), but their grocery stores get a HUGE thumbs down.  They carry very little in the way of fresh produce.  Much of their stock seems to be geared towards college students.  It is neither healthy, nor desirable.  I trekked through "Whole Foods" and "Natural Grocers."  No canned mushrooms or whole wheat pizza crust.  My highly irate text to Mr SMT "I am so sick of being stuck eating shit because YOU people find it acceptable."  Yep, I was irritated.  

The Whole Foods has plenty of: raw meat, soda, alcohol, and snacks.  You want anything of substance?  How about some oranges or grapefruit?  Sorry, you are SOL.

Natural Grocers also had a minuscule produce section.  But they did have my mushrooms.  Don't you just loooove the response from an SO to a food query that goes "Oh, you know what I like."  Arggggggggggg!

We tackled Walnut Canyon because: 1) they allow dogs on one trail, and 2) we bought an annual pass (and I am determined to break even!)  The Canyon visit was awesome.  We were in Flagstaff on a Tuesday, and the local botanical garden was closed. Bummer.  Luckily, the canyon's trail includes several botanical specimen tags and historical use info.  Perfect. However, the trail is blacktop and in mostly full sun.  Any later in the year, and I would worry about burning puppy pads.  😢


Aunty gave me some recipes she's saved for me, and sent us out with a full larder.  The camper is stuffed!  Thanks for everything Aunty and Uncle!  🤗🤗🤗 

No comments: