01 September 2018

New Mexico Pt 1

New Mexico.  Gain one hour.

The dunes in SE NM are a little higher and a little redder than the Monahans area.


Bottomless Lakes State Park near Roswell
How to put this nicely ... I fear the New Mexico Park system has been experiencing money issues.


The information center is never open, the flags at the center appear to have survived a war, the online maps (because no hard copies are around) were last updated in the 'aughts (the 1900 aughts ... apparently), the park overlook gate is locked, the exterior bathroom lights are inoperable (might be all that mud), and the online vs on-site reserving system communication is SERIOUSLY fubar'd.



But, on the other hand, the grounds are nicely set up, the wi-fi works well (a first in our park experience), the camp host is knowledgeable and extremely helpful, and the mid-week neighbors are quiet and unassuming.

Site 18 is fairly garbage free, right across from the restrooms (this could be irritating in high season), and backs to a field and two main roads (neither of which experienced much traffic during our stay).

The showers are pushbutton showers that run for 10 seconds!  Make sure your muscle memory knows where that button is located, because you are going to be reaching for it, a lot! 

Dump station is nicely organized and built.  Simplistic.  With trashcans nearby.  (Garden hose, much better than that silly tall flex tubing contraption we've seen in a couple places.)

All in all, we would return.

The rabbits keep the dogs entertained for hours, the Tenebrionid beetles keep me entertained, and the birds keep my other half entertained.  What more could we ask for in a mid-week rest?




Roswell, New Mexico
We headed in this direction for a much needed produce run.

Our first stop was their local grocery ... Farmers Country Market.  This grocery carries all the hispanic food options (I had not seen that much lard in years) and plenty of fresh produce.  The prices for this conventional fare are similar to what I pay for organic produce at home.  This makes sense as I'm much closer to a major port than land-locked New Mexico.

We then hit the local Albertson's, which pretty much soothed the unfilled portions of my Veggie desperate list.  The ONLY things I could not find: vegan cashew yogurt (they did have Silk, but I prefer a larger variety), hummus (I can make it myself), and vegan graham crackers (I wanna make S'Mores with my vegan marshmallows from last year's Veg-Fest, I was able to get the chocolate!)

Then we drove down Main Street so the other half could abuse his body with local Mexican chow.  And the first place we went to completely ignored him!  OMG, really!?!  On to the second place, Taqueria Jalisco.

Mr. SMT's Taqueria Jalisco Review
This is a taqueria of the people.  If you want a real world experience of southwestern, informal, daily dining, then this is the place.  They were busy inside, when I entered, but my presence was acknowledged in less than 30 seconds, and I was served in regards to my order in less than one minute.  This is a very good place to eat.  It is located in a former Burger King.  I am from the region, and this is the type establishment that serves the REAL southwestern food that the locals eat.  I highly recommend Taqueria Jalisco.  Top notch service by very pleasant people.  If you do not speak Spanish, then be patient and work with your server on your order.  They will work it out language wise, and may need to get an associate to help, but they will get it done.  Relax, when you are their customer, you are part of the family.  You will be well rewarded with a unique and delicious experience.  Also, the floors and the restroom were very clean.  Looks like the alien outside decided to go the vaquero route.

Roswell, especially Main Street - home of the International UFO Museum and Research Center, has embraced the little green dudes and given them quite the marketing push.  I bet Halloween is a hoot.

















No comments: