29 September 2018

Utah, early June

Oops, what we did BETWEEN AZ and NM return!

Onward and upward
10 June
Utah

Wilderness Ranch RV Park
500 acres of wildlife off 89

Nice site and plenty to explore locally as we anticipate time at Bryce Canyon, Kodachrome SP, and Dixie NF.


Bryce is pretty, but crowded.  I found Inspiration Point visually overwhelming, too many things to look at and nowhere for the eye to rest.  Obviously, an artist did NOT carve Bryce!  Sunrise and Sunset points were visually attractive and well worth the trip.  We walked a little over 4 miles.  They do not allow dogs on many trails, and their signage and directions suck.  We went back and forth several times trying to figure out where we were, where we wanted to go, and how to get there.


Kodachrome State Park is a lot of driving, the formations are gorgeous, widely dispersed, and lightly visited.



Uh-oh, we have had the ignitor board fail on the Truck Camper, no more hot water for us until the board is replaced.  This is, apparently, a well-known issue with these Chinese circuit boards.  

Into Cedar City, apparently 72% LDS, to seek the board at an RV shop.  No such luck.  They can order ... well, so can we.  

We grocery shopped and got dog food while we were out.  Produce!  Yum.



I burn Mr. SMTs pizza when we return to the camper.  Note to self, do not try to cook 2 pizzas at once.  Or, alternatively, purchase another wire shelf for the oven so we have twice as much baking space. 

I'm comparing this trip to the last and coming to the conclusion that this trip has not been nearly as much fun as the last.  My skin is uncomfortable, I NEVER know where we are going to go or for how long we are going to stay (why don't you plan something then, Kira, you ask?  Yep, tried that.  My ideas get shot down, they are always too "fill-in-the-blank": too far, too busy, too much traffic, too sunny, too many unknowns), I have to wash a layer of dirt off my feet every day, the only thing I can smell is dirt (or burned pizza), I hate eating so late (we eat at ~5 pm at home, we typically eat 6, 7, 8 pm or later on the road), I wake up unable to breath every morning, and I don't have any handwork to occupy my non-reading down time (I will address that if there should be another trip).

Our fridge and generator have given us fits at the altitudes we have been traveling. 


On the positive side:
  • I've seen areas of the desert SW I never have before
  • I got to spend time with family
  • Um, I got to see beautiful night skies full of stars (though I saw that in PA, too)
  • I've gotten to watch the way Mr SMTs mind works through problems
  • I've gotten to see Aspen trees
  • I've gotten to drive the Jeep on some rough terrain
  • I've gotten to exercise under the stars in some strange places


Conclusion?  
Almost a month into high altitudes, and I think my body would adjust Oxygen wise.  
Almost 2 months into the low humidity, and my skin has yet to adapt.


06/13 - 06/15
Head out toward Blanding area.  We are not going the way Mr SMT said we were going.  Good thing I hadn't done any research on THAT way, huh?

Driving east along 12.  Dropping in elevation.  More red and blond rock and interesting formations to look at as we drive past.


Yep, it is hot!


Cottonwood RV Park
Pretty good for our expectations.  With no generator, we need electricity, and without hot water, we need showers.  Otherwise, we might have chosen a different park.  I call the RV # and Nancy answers and drives right out to meet us.  She lets us pay via CC, and gives us a pretty awesome map of the area.

Natural Bridges National Monument
The "dogs allowed" area is VERY confusing, so we have to use our noggins and guess.  No photos of the bridges.  It was early enough in the day that the bridges blended in with the surrounding area.

Moki Dugway
6 switchbacks in 3 miles with a 10% grade gravel road.  Sign us up!  We also chatted with a Jeep going the other way.  (Not many women driving this roadway.  ðŸ˜¢)  I offered to drive back to the top so Mr SMT could drive it himself.  He declined.  It rains a bit on this drive.  Wow!  Water from the sky!  I have missed you.






Valley of the Gods
Another fun drive.


I described the formations:
Chess set
Bart Simpson crouched down
Fertility statue bust
African Prince

Goosenecks State Park
Goosenecks State Park is  interesting.  It is a river switchback.  I get to practice some rough road driving in the Jeep.

We approached the far point, and then the road got bad enough, I decided to turn around.  I've had enough rock crawling for one day.

No comments: