23 September 2012

I do not need another berry smoothie

I have gotten very attached to my Blendtec blender.  It may not get quite as much use as when I first unpacked it, but that is more due to making 3 plus servings per use use as opposed to making only one.

I have found lots of berry and nut butter smoothies ... see any single google search for "smoothie."  I wanted something different, something with the color orange rather than purple (or brown).

I have two bundles of organic carrots slowly wasting away in the fridge, and began a search with them in mind.  Enter http://www.yummly.com/recipe/5-A-Day-Smoothie-Recipezaar, a simple recipe that required very little tweaking.

With Yummly's help, I have certainly gotten my carotenoids on today!

"The Color Orange" Smoothie
3 small sweet potatoes peeled, quartered, and cooked on high in 1 inch water for 8 minutes in microwave (approximately 225 grams)
1 frozen banana
1 peeled and de-seeded orange
2 fresh carrots sliced in 2 inch sections
1.5 scoops protein powder
1.5 tsp cinnamon powder
1.5 cups water

Dump all ingredients in blender and blend until smooth.  

This is 3 servings of 189 calories each.

The omnivore did mention that my hands seemed yellow the other day ... besides the fact that my skin is fairly yellow, I wonder if I can blame my new orange obsession???

2 comments:

Kathleen said...

Can you recommend a smoothie recipe that doesn't have banana in it please? :P

Kira said...

Since my omnivore does not eat bananas either (he has an inherited allergy to a protein) I've had to figure out a work around.

Bananas are usually used in smoothies to add creaminess and density and sweetness.

With the understanding that you may be changing the texture a great deal, anything that mimics those characteristics will be a great substitute.

Luckily, my guy loves mangoes, and I use fresh or frozen as a typical substitute ... I try to do a volume for volume replacement by eyeball.

I've also seen suggestions for the following substitutions:
avocado
pear
oats
pumpkin puree
papaya
yogurt
pineapple
chia seeds
nut butters
apples or applesauce
melon
figs

and

kiwi!