16 December 2014

Jamie Oliver's Granola, kinda

To make well toasted granola, mix granola on pan during the baking process.

To make chunky granola, use enough sticky liquid (syrups, etc) to hold the oats together, and bake without stirring.  Break up the resulting pile by hand into the appropriate sizes.

Start with your well spread out granola, and bake for 5-10 minutes.




 Move the outer edges into the middle with a spoon.







 Push the granola to the edges, smooth out the pan contents, and bake again.




Add in dried fruit, if you wish, after the granola has baked.




Mix the fruit and transfer to a storage container.




Jaime Oliver Granola
200 g mixed nuts (about 1 cup)
400 g rolled or jumbo oats (about 4 cups)
100 g pumpkin or sunflower seeds (or shredded coconut) (about 1 cup)
400 g runny honey(/agave/maple) (and oil mix) (about a cup)

 
http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/fruit-recipes/homemade-granola-with-berry-compote/
 


My first repeat granola recipe is loosely based on Jamie Oliver's Granola recipe above.

I chop my nuts, generally a mixture of pecan, walnut, and filbert (chop filberts first as they are a harder nut) into small-ish pieces using my blender. 

I may add spices, in a teaspoon amount: pumpkin pie, cinnamon, etc.

I replace some of the oats with dried cranberries, preferring them over raisins.

And I cut way down on the sweetness.  I use about 40 grams of syrup (about 2 Tbsp) and about the same amount of fat (oil).

Bake at 350F for 30 minutes or so, and mix every 5-10 minutes during baking period.


It is rather amazing how quick and easy granola is to make.  I really need to compare homemade to store bought prices.


No comments: